Manchego Tortas with Romesco and Chorizo
- 0.5 C sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 Tbs sherry vinegar
- 0.5 tsp dried oregano
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 0.125 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
- 8 oz jar of roasted red peppers
- 1 garlic clove
- 0.5 C extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 whole-wheat sandwich rounds (such as Nature's Own)
- 2 oz Manchego cheese, shaved (about 1 C)
- 4 oz Spanish chorizo, thinly sliced (do not substitute)
- 0.3 C flat-leaf parsley leaves
Combine all romesco sauce ingredients in a food processor, and process until smooth. Set aside 0.25 C for this recipe.
Split sandwich rounds and cut in quarters. Arrange bread in a single layer on a baking sheet; top evenly with cheese. Broil 3 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven. Top each with 1 slice chorizo, dab of romesco sauce, and 1 parsley leaf.